Is your family or business 'Gas Safe'?
Thursday, 03 March 2011 00:00
gassafeThe Gas Safe Register - which replaced CORGI Gas Registration on 1 April 2009 - is the only official list of gas engineers who are legally allowed to do work on your gas boiler, gas cooker or gas fire. By law, all gas engineers have to be Gas Safe registered. The list is there to protect you from unsafe gas work. 

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) advises that you should have any gas appliances in your home checked once a year by a Gas Safe registered engineer. Annual servicing not only helps keeps your gas central heating and hot water working properly, it helps keep you safe. 
All Gas Safe registered engineers carry an ID card so they can show you they are Gas Safe registered when they turn up at your front door. Always check their card: if they don’t show you it, don't be afraid to ask to see it. You can also call Gas Safe Register free on 0800 408 5500 who can tell you if the gas engineer is on the list and qualified for the work you need them. Or you can visit their website on and enter the engineer's ID number. 

Gas Safe Register free leaflet 

Gas Safety advice for landlords

Landlords have legal obligations when it comes to gas safety.?Landlords’ legal duties apply to a wide range of accommodation including: residential premises provided for rent by local authorities, housing associations, private sector landlords, housing co-operatives, hostel rooms let in bed-sit accommodation, private households, bed and breakfast accommodation and hotel rented holiday accommodation such as chalets, cottages, flats, caravans and narrow boats on inland waterways. 

Make sure you read the Gas Safe Register gas safety advice for landlords for a full breakdown of your responsibilities. 

Gas Safety advice for tenants

If you are renting a property, it is important that you understand yourlandlord's gas safety responsibilities. These apply whether you are in public or private rented accommodation, and even apply if you rent a holiday property. Make sure you know how to stay safe - and what your landlord should be doing to protect you - with the Gas Safe Register gas safety advice for tenants. 

Make a complaint

Do you have a complaint or comment about gas work carried out by a Gas Safe registered business or engineer? 
First, make sure that the gas engineer or business is registered with Gas Safe Register by using check a gas engineer. If they are not registered, you should report them, using the report an illegal engineer link

At Absolute Health and Safety Solutions Ltd, we strive to provide practical advice to all our clients and believe in sharing available free information. For more information on similar subjects, contact one of our consultants on 0845 864 6934 or visit our website at

RocketTheme Joomla Templates